Sunday, December 20, 2009

Reflections on Personal Learning Style

At the beginning of this course, I described myself as a visual learner, but gave concessions to an ability in auditory learning as well. My understanding of my learning abilities and intelligences has expanded tremendously. I used intelligences in that last sentence on purpose, because my exposure to Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences really opened my eyes to how I learn.

I was always dissatisfied with the visual/auditory classifications, as I felt it was missing something. What that something was I couldn't put my finger on, but it just seemed too basic. Reading Gardner's theory really resonated with me, as it filled in the gaps I perceived but was unable to fill myself. I particularly like the inclusion of the arts and personalities in the Multiple Intelligences Theory. Audio/Visual at least broaches the subject of Musical and Spatial Intelligence, but doesn't go all the way. I know many people who like music, but can't carry a tune. I know people who are color blind, but can truly appreciate a sunset for all its majesty. Simply classifying these people as audio or visual people doesn't describe the complexity of their unique situations. Gardner's theory says that it's possible to love music without being able to create it. The theory says my color-blind friend can rely on his spatial intelligence to appreciate the sunset for what it's worth, even if he can appreciate the full spectrum of color. I related to the theory so much, that I bought three Howard Gardner books, to learn more deeply on the subject.

Knowing about and believing in the eight intelligences will help me utilize technology in myriad ways. Adding ambient music to learning environments to stimulate those with a high musical intelligence; employing artistic style to learning environments to appeal to the spatially strong; and, try to bring people together to incorporate interpersonal intelligence. I also plan to make learning as asynchronous as possible, touching on a person's intrapersonal intelligence, and appealing to the adult learning tenant of self-direction. This is just the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment