Sunday, December 6, 2009

Mind Map - Reflection

Upon reflection of the material presented in my Mind Map, I can truly say that my learning has become much more 21st century. I’ve had experience with online classes in the past, but not with a degree program that is 100% online. I’m not going to lie and say that it was an effortless transition, but I think my previous experience with online learning, and the fact that I work for Walden and had an idea of what the learning environment was like before I started, definitely eased the adaptation. I think the online format of this program very much suits me, as can be reinforced by the discussion this week on adult learning and the characteristic preference for self-direction. I’ll also say that the asynchronous nature facilitated my learning more than anything, as I can do my homework whenever I want. In my bachelor’s program, my favorite classes were the online classes. Not because they were easy, but because they were flexible. I hated going to class and sitting through lecture. This concept of learning really is antiquated and I always thought there had to be a better way (especially in Minnesota winters. It was very easy to skip class when there was two feet of snow on the ground and the temperature was negative-ten degrees). Online learning lets me work from home, which is perfect for me (even though I live in Arizona now, and weather isn’t an issue).


I’ve never been much of a question asker, relying instead on finding the answer for myself, but I’m very comfortable asking questions in the online environment. The professors thus far have been very prompt in responses to any questions I’ve had. This only reinforces the support I feel from my friends and family (as shown in the Mind Map), and the experience I’ve been having so far in the online program. It helps also that I have a classmate, in the same program, on my team at work. We talk about the program nearly every day, answering each others’ questions and providing another layer of support (not seen on the Mind Map). All of this support is invaluable to say the least.

As shown by my mind map, I think the central tenets of Connectivism are well represented. Essentially, connectivism can be interpreted to convey a message of, “no one learning theory is 100% correct.” Instead, connectivism implores the individual to use as many methods as possible to learn in the most effective manner. My Mind Map shows that I learn through several different methods. Cognitivistically speaking, learning in my current online environment is heavily influenced by my previous experience in my bachelor’s program. I can access the schema built from that program and apply it to my current program when it comes to time management, online ethics, and so on. Constructively speaking, the social environment of not only the classroom, but my job at Walden comes into play. It’s a blessing to work for a school you attend, because the culture of learning is strongly ingrained in everyone. While employees are not necessarily encouraged to do homework at work, it is tolerated, which allows me to do a lot in my down time at work. Without that sociocultural structure, there would be a little more adaptation needed on my part to establish a routine at home. As it stands, I can be surrounded by a pro-education environment and tap into that energy while doing my homework.

2 comments:

  1. I understand your point of not wanting to go to school in Minnesota with the weather, but not wanting to go because it is only minus 10. Come on that is a little cowardly. I have had situations of minus 50 without the windchill.

    Anyway, I also understand your comment about not asking questions. I too had that problem in the traditional class setting, and mostly for the simple reason that I did not want to look like an idiot in class. Peer judgement is a killer, if you let it run your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. -50 degrees?! Where are you located??

    You're right about not asking questions to preserve a measure of respect within a classroom. I think the same can be said for staying quiet even when you know the answer. That's my biggest issue with in-class learning, and participation. I don't want to blurt out every answer and look like a) a know-it-all, or b) a blowhard. I don't know what it is about the online classroom, but that apprehension is removed. Maybe is the distance from classmates, or the relative impersonality of an online classroom. For what ever reason, I love participating in the online classroom ad nauseum.

    ReplyDelete