Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Initial Post: New Blogs I'm Subscribing To (And Why)

There is a lot of great information in cyberspace concerning Instructional Design theory and the latest strategies.  But, I've also noticed that, through conventional searches (i.e. using Google), not many active bloggers can be found on the subject.  I found a few sites devoted to blogging about ID, but the majority hadn't been actively blogging for several years.  In terms of a technologically-sensitive industry like ID, these blogs may as well have been published back in the bronze age.

Here are several sites I found particularly useful, not only for their freshness and consistent activity, but for their utilitarianism as well:

Making Change - I thought this blog by Cathy Moore was particularly applicable in that it seems to piggy back on the first class in the Walden IDT program, concerning Organizational Development and Change Leadership.  Good ideas on instituting change within organizations from a professional ID point of view.

Learning Journal - I liked the consistency of this blog (a post every two weeks or so), and the topics discussed.  Looks like the ADDIE model is under a lot of scrutiny these days, which is definitely news to me.  Not only am I a student in Walden's MS-IDT program, but I'm also an enrollment advisor for the program, so information like this helps me describe the program and the field to potential students (when being trained on the program when it was new, the ADDIE model was the concept we spent the most time on; seems to be out-dated now).

eLearningLearning - I think this site is great!  More of a newsletter/compilation site than a strict blogging site, but it has a collection of the latest and greatest news and information on all things eLearning and ID related.  I have a feeling I'll be visiting this site often, and will be staying in the loop as a result!

2 comments:

  1. Jason,

    I thought about Cathy Moore's blog that you linked to and she had a post on learning objectives. She did have a good point about how most objectives are "wimpy". Recently, I was tasked to reword the objectives in our courses and what I found that most of the objectives were vague. For instance, "Describe the CIA triangle". I changed it to, "Define Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability as components of the CIA triangle." I think that the way I worded it could have a measurable result. If the student can give the definitions for those three words at the end of the chapter than the objective is a good one.

    I also found that sometimes objectives do not focus on what the author really wanted to have uinderstood by the reader. For instance, when someone is writing objectives, why would a person focus on a single sentence out of an entire chapter when there are paragraphs on other topics that have no objectives written for it?

    I added her blog to my RSS aggregator. Thank you for the tips!

    Serena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, no worries; thank Google for pointing me in her direction :)

    Misleading objectives to start chapters have been my pet peeve since I've been in the learning game. As I was going through the readings for this week, one of the tennants of metacognition and learning strategies is to be aware of key topics before in-depth reading is done, so the concepts are better understood and transferred to LTM. When an author misleads the reader right off the bat as to the major topics of the chapter, the reader is put at a disadvantage in learning the key concepts. It's funny you mentioned that, because that has bugged me since I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete